Hello & Welcome Into Gamers,
In this post I will be providing you with some top tips for cleaning video games. If you’re visiting my site, there’s a very good chance that we’re all into games, correct? Well, if we neglect to maintain our favorite titles when they have picked up dust, then before too long we may have to find another hobby or passion in life altogether. It is worth pointing out, this will only be necessary if your disc hasn’t been used for a while or is playing up quite frequently, especially at the same point in the game.
Keeping our games clean and scratch-free, is key for any gamer today, yet we often overlook it. Sure, nowadays we can usually pay for additional protection when we purchase our games at most retail stores, but let’s be honest, how many of us really do? Not a lot I imagine. Maybe if the game in question is one we’ve been drooling over on the build-up to its release. Perhaps if the outlet store is offering this service relatively cheap and you can cover the cost with your change, or it is free as a promotional offer, but otherwise, most of us probably just roll the dice, am I right?
If, like me, you fall into the dice rolling category, then read on.
Scratches & Smudges
First thing’s first: Don’t clean discs in a circular fashion!
There’s nothing more frustrating than when you’re really into a game and it starts to freeze and/or crash on you. There’s no good part of the game for this to happen, but you can bet your bottom dollar, it’ll be when you’ve battled so incredibly hard to get through a particularly difficult level that it does ( at least that’s what I find).
This is normally due to scratches, smudges or both! Hey, it happens. Regardless of how careful you may be when handling your game, it is still going to happen over time, one way or another. I have a very hectic home life for example, my 3 and 5-year-old little bean heads are constantly running around the house, messing with Daddies games. There could be something inside the actual case when we put the discs away. Maybe you’ve decided to switch games and have left your disc exposed because the box isn’t immediately to hand (yep, we all do it).
My point is, it’s easier than you might think to obtain scratches and smudges on your discs that can and will, wreak havoc on your in-game experience.
Cleaning Your Video Game
When cleaning your games, never, and I do mean, never… Clean your disc in a circular fashion. Yes, the disc is round, yes it moves in a circular motion when played, and yes, a vast majority of gamers, movie buffs and music lovers alike, have all wiped their discs in a circular motion. I cannot stress how wrong we are to do this, as any laserdisc, be it compact, digital or Blu-Ray should be cleaned from the center outwards in straight, one way strokes. It is important to remember, that the naked eye, though a wonderful bit of kit, cannot see the microscopic happenings on the disc. We cannot see what particles are trapped within the cloth we’re using, and by wiping around the disc, you could potentially turn a minor, repairable problem, into a major unrepairable one.
Listed here are some of the best and most reliable ways to keep your discs clean and repair minor scratches that can be causing your game(s) to crash.
- As mentioned at the start of this post, the first option would be to simply pay for additional disc protection from the store you purchase the title. This is fine and will definitely give you additional peace of mind, if you have the money to pay for it? Games are not cheap as it is, not everyone has extra money to pay for protection after purchasing their title, especially if it is a brand new release.
- If you do have some money in your piggy bank since making your purchase, there are numerous services you can find online that offer a cleaning/repair service for your discs. A relatively cheap and reliable one here in the UK is: https://www.help.game.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000481233-What-is-Disc-Repair
- 1) Take the disc in question and run the game side under the tap, this doesn’t need to be gushing water, just a gentle enough pressure to wash away any of the dust/dirt and things we cannot see with the naked eye. 2) Where possible, try to obtain a lens cleaning cloth and keep it in a cover of some sort until ready to use. 3) Slightly dampen the lens cleaning cloth and whilst holding the disc firmly at the edges, wipe from the center of the disc outward, each time moving in the same direction (do not move up and down). 4) Repeat the wiping stage on the dry side, just to be safe. 5) Always allow a few minutes before testing.
- When water isn’t doing the job, you will most likely have minor scratches that will need repair treatment and you may wish to purchase an actual disc cleaning spray, this isn’t recommended by the manufacturer and again costs money.
- The next tip I’m just going to come out and say… Toothpaste! Much like Keyser Söze in the film ‘The Usual Suspects’ it is a myth that is not only real, but genuinely works. I have used this method many, many times with all variations of discs and it has never cost me a penny. Why? Well, my wife buys the toothpaste, and my parents before her lol. Here’s what to do: 1) Apply a generous amount of toothpaste onto the game side of the disc, approximately what you would pop on a toothbrush. 2) Spread the toothpaste in the same manner as the water wipe method above, in evenly placed, straight lines, from the center of the disc, outwardly. 3) Allow the paste to work its magic, I recommend leaving it to sit for at least 10 minutes. 4) Rinse away with warm, but not excessively hot water until clean as a whistle. 5) Dry off the disc with the lens cleaning cloth if you have one with the same care and attention as mentioned above.
Back To What, You Do Best
By following one or more of the tips provided above, you should be back to doing what you do best in no time, gaming!
Just remember, no circular motions when wiping discs, ideally use a clean lens cleaning cloth to clean
Always clean from the middle of the disc to the edges in an outwardly, single direction.
I sincerely hope this helps and works for you as well as it has, and continues to, work for me. Please feel free to leave any comments you might have below, no subscription is needed in order to do so. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read through my latest content.
Big Love & Love Big,
ADAM J PRICE